Saturday 23 August 2014

Baby fairs 101

Over this weekend there is a massive baby fair at suntec convention hall 401-404 and another smaller scaled one at expo. I'm pretty sure every parent flocked to the one at suntec. I LOVE baby fairs cause I LOVE shopping for my princess. 5 days after my c sect way back in April my husband and I braved the crowds n my c sect pains to conquer the baby fair organized by mummy's market and bought soooooo many things for baby G. Because she came so unexpectedly, we really didn't have enough time to prep for her. So me being kiasu and super excited for her arrival went to buy a lot of things for her (which she only used them when she was discharged 2months later!) hahaha 

Anyways I knew this baby fair was going to be quite mad cause there are formulas and diapers sale. And as you all know at every baby fair, only the big fairs have diapers and formulas. The first baby fair we were much prepared! We went with a trolley and drove my Volvo xc60 (SUV; yes I shopped so much that that car came in very handy!) 

We went to the fair yesterday after having lunch at 12pm. One mistake I made (I didn't listen to my husband) was bringing baby G. I always thought with baby fairs if you being a huge stroller you can just bang your way through/people would generally give way to you! Hell was I wrong! Well it worked for a while but I guess when you fight with the 101000 other parents with prams it does get frustrating. 

At about 2pm Merries diapers were sold out and they had to battle with a lot of angry parents. For me I just simply walked away and went for another brand (we aren't fussy with diapers really. Just wanna find one with good absorbent and cute prints hahahaha). Which was why we ended up with Mamy Poko cause they had very cute Winnie the Pooh prints which got me completely sold! 

I really intended to shop more but my husband was stressing me out and with the pram it got annoying. Baby G slept through the entire thing and was just an angel so she wasn't the problem. But yea lesson learnt NEVER bring the baby/child/stroller! And since it was at suntec getting up to the fair itself was such a chore for us! Let's just say we spent about 30mins avoiding stairs with the pram and searching for lifts before we succumbed to travel "dangerously" by the escalator. Plus I woke up at 6.50am in the morning and was out running errands as early as 8am so I was completely zonked out by the time we headed to the fair which got me all cranky and annoyed with the crowds; totally no mood for any shopping.

So some tips for baby fairs (another one coming up in October): 

1) NEVER bring baby/child/stroller 

2) Bring cash (most places do card transactions but for diapers some only accept cash) 

3) List down things you MUST get (honestly some of the deals aren't that impressive like you probably only save a few $ and to fight with the crowd is ridiculous and not worth it. So make sure you REALLY need the item and that the deal is really that worth it) 

4) Do your research prior to the fair (these fairs post what vendors will be there and the layout of the fair weeks/days in advance. So know what you wanna buy and which booths they will be at. 

5) Bring a trolley (I can't stress how important this is especially if you intend to shop a lot/buy cartons of diapers) 

6) Get enough rest and hydrate!! (Crowds can make you tired easily and can get quite stressful and headachey) 

7) Wear comfy shoes and clothes (I won't recommended slippers cause chances of your toes getting rolled over by prams or stepped out is really high!) 

8) Divide and conquer (I'm pretty sure it's the mummies who do the shopping! So mummies do your shopping and daddies can help to queue up so you won't spend so much unnecessary time making payment and spending it on one booth) 

To sum up, I didn't find this baby fair as awesome as the one organized by mummy's market. Suntec is really hectic to begin with so I won't say it's the best location. And thing is all the diapers and formulas were scattered around the hall which is so silly in my opinion!! And popular vendors like Merries didn't even have a big sign so finding them were tedious too! 

I know my husband won't be going to the next fair with me in October but I can't wait since I didn't manage to get anything awesome for baby G so I intend to go all out during the next one! and by then I would be prepping to start on solids for her so need to get all the tools and appliances. Hahaha 

No comments:

Post a Comment