Wednesday 9 July 2014

Little preemie warrior talk: parent forums

Ever since the birth of baby gwyn, I've found n joined several parent groups on Facebook, like breastfeeding mums, premature babies n exclusive breastfeeding mums. When I had baby gwyn as a preemie, these premature baby pages on Facebook realli helped me a lot. Cuz thr are parents posting their stories of their babies on there n in way far worse conditions than gwyn. So it did give me a form of support n also knowledge. 

These Facebook pages are meant for mothers to share ideas or consult one another about issues n all. What I realli cannot stand is when mothers ask the most ridiculous nonsensical questions!!! 

Eg: 

"I'm having a flu now and I went to see the doctor n he/she prescribed me wif this medicine n I mentioned I'm breastfeeding. Jus wanna check if it's safe or nt?" 

I mean c'mon ur doctor is more knowledgable than these mothers n I'm pretty darn sure he or she has studied enough to be able to be qualified to prescribe u the rite medicines!? 

"Is this food item safe for breastfeeding?" 

I always believe in moderation. If u are unsure better to be safe n sorri n avoid? Or jus pump n dump. 

"So n so say I should do this n that (eg: give pacifier, start on formula etc) should I or nt?" 

Hello isn't tt ur child n u are the parent so can't u decide?! Parenthood is all about u making the rite n appropriate decisions tt suit u n ur baby! Nt following watever other people tell u. 

"I don't hav enough supply n I tried everything! But I realli don't wanna substitute wif fm so how?" 

I realli don't get wat is so wrong wif FM!! Yes BM is always better but if u realli can't supply then give FM! Y so stress abt it? Like esp those mothers who whine n complain when their baby is already a few mths old. FM these days are filled wif amazing nutrients thxs to medical technology n all. So don't hav to worry wad. Plus it's also more convenient. 

"I feel my milk has more hind/fore milk hw to get more fore/hind milk?" (I'm nt sure which is which) 

Isn't breast milk jus milk!? What hind n fore milk!? As long as ur baby is growing healthily isn't tt impt?! Worry abt wat milk comes out for wad!!

Parenthood is suppose to be stress free n enjoyable. Do wat u feel is rite cuz thr is no perfect parent. Thr are no perfect solutions to being a parent. U come up wif wat suits u n ur family. 

I'm so thankful my family never told me to do this or that or forced me to do things a certain way. If nt I may go mad but even then I wouldn't stress abt it or follow suit. Yes I'm a young mother who has no prior knowledge or even went for any parenting class but parenting is abt learning as u go along as every baby is different! So enjoy parenthood n do wat u wanna do! It's a journey together wif your spouse n baby! 

1 comment:

  1. Muahahah, how true. U forget to add:

    1) I pumped xxxml today and my booster is yyy, zzz. Many will either "Follow" or gosh ask where to buy them.. so sgporean
    2) I cross my 6mths/ 1yr/ 2yr mark, keep calm and pump on/ I plan to pump on. 300 likes. I get that it is a tough journey, but to me even bf for 6 weeks is a feat. period.
    3) So and so say this and that about me BF. Oh looking for support. Again, we hear what we wana hear. so why hear what pp say, be it positive or negative?? do wat u like la. When I BF there are a lot a lot of naysayers, I dun gv 2 hoots. And I am very careful to be "supported" at times by the really Xiao on bf mums... too Xiao on liao.. I think life has more purposes than just fight for BF...
    4) oh gosh so many more.. roll eyes...

    ReplyDelete