Sunday 15 June 2014

Little preemie warrior parental talk 2: how to be a superhero husband/daddy

We are on to our 2nd topic. N since it's Father's Day we mustnt forget about the daddies. First up, happy Father's Day!! Every yr Mother's Day is hyped up n u see social media being flooded by children posting pics wif their mums n writing heart felt messages. We tend to pay tribute n glorify our mothers more and "forget" abt our fathers. C'mon face it we are all guilty of that. Cuz it is our mothers who carried us for 10 whole mths n suffered the pains of child labour n being the main caregiver (esp if mummy is a stay home mum). But wat we fail to remember is daddy plays a veri important role in this parenthood journey too! 

My husband and I have a veri jovial relationship. He's 5yrs older than me but realli most of the time I forget he is older than me cuz we realli act like kids around each other. But when news broke that we were going to be parents 7mths ago, I was never worried about him being a daddy. He was always good with kids since he was already an uncle to his 2 nephews n 1 niece. They are terrified of him in fact but they hav a realli close relationship with him. He disciplines them n he is the no nonsense kind but yet he loves them so much. So I knew from the very early stages of our relationship; watching him interact with these kids, i knew he was going to be an amazing father. 

When a couple finds out they are pregnant n esp first time parents, they would read up on parenting books. But nope not my husband. I kept pestering him to read up but he didn't! He kept saying he was a "on the go learning daddy". FYI, we didn't go to any pre-parental classes either!! N plus baby gwyn arrived a lil too early to fully prep us. Can u imagine being young n 1st time parents wif no knowledge on hw to take care of babies (wats more baby gwyn is a preemie)!? But somehow I still wasn't worried. 

Back track, I had a horrible pregnancy which came with a lot of pain, tears n even being admitted to the hospital. My husband was always by my side. Trust me when I say I cried every single nite at one point n he was always veri tolerating n encouraging. 

Then came the sudden birth of gwyn which was nerve wrecking for both of us. He was optimistic n reassuring for all of us even though I knew how afraid he was too.

I've read many comments from mummies whose husbands aren't supportive of their breast feeding journey n can be tiresome when the hubs doesn't support it. Nt my husband. He has always been supportive of me breast feeding gwyn since day 1. In the initial wks he would wake up wif me in the middle of the nite n jus be a support n keep me company. Nw he doesn't wake up wif me but he does stay up wif me during my last pump session n then we head to bed together. 

It's exactly 2mths since we hav been parents to such an amazing precious lil gem. Yes we havnt realli kicked our role as parents into full overdrive yet but we are both learning along the way wif the guidance of the amazing nurses. He's realli stepped up the plate n earned a well deserving title as 'best daddy in the world'. He changes diapers better than me! He knows our daughter's temper n character quite well. He soothes her when she's fussy and he's an amazing swaddler. 

Whenever I look at him jus care for baby gwyn, i fall deeper in love with him. The way he looks at his daughter is an indescribable feeling. Like I know he will protect his lil princess at any cost n he will never let anything happen to her. N to his wife too. 

Yes this is a rather lengthy post but realli Sean has been an amazing husband n daddy. So let's condense it down to some tips on hw to be a superhero husband/daddy:

1) always be supportive to the wifey 
2) help out whenever you are home 
3) get involved 
4) take over the graveyard feeds so mummy can rest 
5) always hav an open communication wif the wifey (communication is VERI important) 

Found this on another preemie fb page n couldn't agree more 

So HAPPY FATHER'S DAY! You are a superhero in your child's eyes (: 

No comments:

Post a Comment